Gospel of Matthew
The Book of MATTHEW
The Covenant Promises of God Found in the book of Genesis
The Adamic Covenants
1. Genesis 2:15 God's first relationship to man, Responsibility: "And the Lord God took (the) man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it."
2. Genesis 2:16-17 God establishes (the) man's authority and responsibilities:
"The Lord commanded (the) man, 'You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die.'"
3. Genesis 2:18 God Promises a helper:
"The Lord God said, 'it is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him."
4. Genesis 3:14-15 Speaking to the serpent, God Promises the serpent to be cursed and in enmity with mankind. Included are the first words of Promise of victory over the serpent by a wound to Eve's offspring. These words contain the evidence that God is in control and that there will be a deliverer - through Eve's offspring. Looking back, this could also be indicative of the virgin birth.
14 “Because you have done this, Cursed are you more than all cattle, And more than every beast of the field; On your belly you will go, And dust you will eat All the days of your life;
15 And I will put enmity Between you and the woman, And between your seed and her seed; He shall [d]bruise you on the head, And you shall bruise him on the heel.”
5. Genesis 3:16 God promises Eve: There will be Pain in childbirth, Eve's offspring (female) will have desire - 'for your husband' and 'the husband will rule over you.'"
16 To the woman He said, “I will greatly multiply Your pain in childbirth, In pain you will bring forth children; Yet your desire will be for your husband, And he will rule over you.
6. Genesis 3:17b-19 God promises Adam: The results of disobedience.
17b Cursed is the ground because of you; In toil you will eat of it All the days of your life. 18 “Both thorns and thistles it shall grow for you; And you will eat the plants of the field; 19 By the sweat of your face You will eat bread, Till you return to the ground, Because from it you were taken; For you are dust, And to dust you shall return.”
7. Genesis 4:11-12 God's Promise to Cain and his offspring:
11 Now you are cursed from the ground, which has opened its mouth to receive your brother’s blood from your hand. 12 When you cultivate the ground, it will no longer yield its strength to you; you will be a vagrant and a wanderer on the earth.”
8. Genesis 4:15 God's Promise to Cain for the rest of his life:
“Therefore whoever kills Cain, vengeance will be taken on him sevenfold.” And the Lord appointed a sign for Cain, so that no one finding him would slay him.
GOD'S COVENANT AND PROMISES WITH NOAH
9. Genesis 6:13-7:16 God's Promise to Noah concerning the building of the Ark (Ed., too many verses to list here).
Genesis 6:13 "Then God said to Noah, 'The end of all flesh has come before Me; for the earth is filled with violence because of them; and behold, I am about to destroy them with the earth.'"
Genesis 7:16 "Those that entered, male and female of all flesh, entered as God had commanded him; and the Lord closed it (the door) behind him.
10 Genesis 8:20-22 God Promises to Himself that He will tolerate the evils of mankind.
“I will never again curse the ground on account of man, for the intent of man’s heart is evil from his youth; and I will never again destroy every living thing, as I have done.
22 “While the earth remains, Seedtime and harvest, And cold and heat, And summer and winter, And day and night Shall not cease.”
11. Genesis 9:1-17 God Promises Noah and his offspring through a binding everlasting Covenant.
1. "Be Fruitful and multiply"
2. "Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything"
3. "You must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it"
4. "I will demand an accounting for the life of his fellow man"
5. "Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed" - "for: In the image of God has God made man."
6. "I establish My covenant with you; and all flesh shall never again be cut off by the water of the flood, neither shall there again be a flood to destroy the earth.” God said, “This is the sign of the covenant which I am making between Me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all successive generations; I set My bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a sign of a covenant between Me and the earth."
GOD'S COVENANT AND PROMISES TO ABRAHAM
12. Genesis 12:1-3 The First Promises to Abram.
“Go forth from your country, And from your relatives And from your father’s house, To the land which I will show you; 2 And I will make you a great nation, And I will bless you, and make your name great; And so you shall be a blessing; 3 And I will bless those who bless you, And the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed.”
Genesis 15:4-5 The revelation of the source of Abram's offspring.
4 Then behold, the word of the Lord came to him, saying, “This man (Ishmael) will not be your heir; but one who will come forth from your own body, he shall be your heir.” 5 And He took him outside and said, “Now look toward the heavens, and count the stars, if you are able to count them.” And He said to him, “So shall your descendants be.”
Genesis 15:8-16 The revelation of the Egyptian Captivity and Abraham's death.
8 He said, “O Lord God, how may I know that I will possess it?” 9 So He said to him, “Bring Me a three year old heifer, and a three year old female goat, and a three year old ram, and a turtledove, and a young pigeon.” 10 Then he brought all these to Him and cut them in two, and laid each half opposite the other; but he did not cut the birds. 11 The birds of prey came down upon the carcasses, and Abram drove them away.
12 Now when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and behold, terror and great darkness fell upon him. 13 God said to Abram, “Know for certain that your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs, where they will be enslaved and oppressed four hundred years. 14 But I will also judge the nation whom they will serve, and afterward they will come out with many possessions. 15 As for you, you shall go to your fathers in peace; you will be buried at a good old age.
Genesis 15:16 The Promise of the return to Caanan, the area of the Jebusites - Jerusalem.
16 "Then in the fourth generation they will return here for the iniquity of the Amorite is not yet complete.”
Genesis 15:17-21 The formal Covenant of God concerning Abraham's offspring.
17 It came about when the sun had set, that it was very dark, and behold, there appeared a smoking oven and a flaming torch which passed between these pieces. 18 On that day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying,
“To your descendants I have given this land, From the river of Egypt as far as the great river, the river Euphrates: 19 the Kenite and the Kenizzite and the Kadmonite 20 and the Hittite and the Perizzite and the Rephaim 21 and the Amorite and the Canaanite and the Girgashite and the Jebusite.”
GOD'S PROMISES WITH HAGAR
13. Genesis 16:07-12 The Angel of the Lord Promises Hagar about Ishmael.
7 Now the angel of the Lord found her by a spring of water in the wilderness, by the spring on the way to Shur. 8 He said, “Hagar, Sarai’s maid, where have you come from and where are you going?” And she said, “I am fleeing from the presence of my mistress Sarai.” 9 Then the angel of the Lord said to her, “Return to your mistress, and submit yourself to her authority.” 10 Moreover, the angel of the Lord said to her, “I will greatly multiply your descendants so that they will be too many to count.” 11 The angel of the Lord said to her further,
“Behold, you are with child, And you will bear a son; And you shall call his name Ishmael, Because the Lord has given heed to your affliction. 12 “He will be a wild donkey of a man, His hand will be against everyone, And everyone’s hand will be against him; And he will live to the east of all his brothers.”
GOD'S COVENANT AND PROMISES WITH ABRAHAM'S OFFERING
14. Genesis 22:15-18 The Angel of the Lord Promises Abraham after the Offering of Isaac.
15 Then the angel of the Lord called to Abraham a second time from heaven, 16 and said, “By Myself I have sworn, declares the Lord, because you have done this thing and have not withheld your son, your only son, 17 indeed I will greatly bless you, and I will greatly multiply your seed as the stars of the heavens and as the sand which is on the seashore; and your seed shall possess the gate of their enemies. 18 In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice.”
GOD'S PROMISES TO REBEKAH
15. Genesis 25:23 The Lord makes Promises to Rebekah.
“Two nations are in your womb; And two peoples will be separated from your body; And one people shall be stronger than the other; And the older (Esau - Edom) shall serve the younger (Jacob - Israel).”
GOD TRANSFERS THE COVENANT TO ISAAC
16. Genesis 26:2-5 The Lord transfers the Covenant He made with Abraham to Isaac.
2 The Lord appeared to him and said, “Do not go down to Egypt; stay in the land of which I shall tell you. 3 Sojourn in this land and I will be with you and bless you, for to you and to your descendants I will give all these lands, and I will establish the oath which I swore to your father Abraham. 4 I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven, and will give your descendants all these lands; and by your descendants all the nations of the earth shall be blessed; 5 because Abraham obeyed Me and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes and My laws.”
GOD TRANSFERS THE COVENANT TO JACOB
17. Genesis 28:13 Jacob receives the Covenant blessing.
13 And behold, the Lord stood above it and said, “I am the Lord, the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac; the land on which you lie, I will give it to you and to your descendants. 14 Your descendants will also be like the dust of the earth, and you will spread out to the west and to the east and to the north and to the south; and in you and in your descendants shall all the families of the earth be blessed. 15 Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.”
Genesis 31:3 God Promises Jacob his presence If he returns to the "land of your fathers."
3 Then the Lord said to Jacob, “Return to the land of your fathers and to your relatives, and I will be with you.”
Genesis 35:11-12 God rehearses the Covenant with Jacob, now Israel.
“I am God Almighty; Be fruitful and multiply; A nation and a company of nations shall come from you, And kings shall come forth from you. 12 “The land which I gave to Abraham and Isaac, I will give it to you, And I will give the land to your descendants after you.”
Genesis 46:2-4 God makes Promises to Israel (Jacob) concerning Egypt and his death.
2 God spoke to Israel in visions of the night and said, “Jacob, Jacob.” And he said, “Here I am.” 3 He said, “I am God, the God of your father; do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for I will make you a great nation there. 4 I will go down with you to Egypt, and I will also surely bring you up again; and Joseph will close your eyes.”
GOD TRANSFERS THE COVENANT TO JOSEPH THROUGH JACOB
18. Genesis 48:3-4 Israel (Jacob) transfers the Covenant to Joseph.
3 Then Jacob said to Joseph, “God Almighty appeared to me at Luz in the land of Canaan and blessed me, 4 and He said to me, ‘Behold, I will make you fruitful and numerous, and I will make you a company of peoples, and will give this land to your descendants after you for an everlasting possession.’
Genesis 50:24 Joseph reminds his brothers of God's Covenant.
24 Joseph said to his brothers, “I am about to die, but God will surely take care of you and bring you up from this land to the land which He promised on oath to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob.”