Understanding The Bible
J. Deering, AncientPath.net
Scripture Reading: 2 Timothy 2:15,Titus 2:7-15, 1 Corinthians 3:16-4:2
The Responsibilities of being “Grown Up”
Diligence - working at what you are here for
A. KNOW your place in God’s Glory
1. Why was I born?
2. Do you know what you’re here for, and are you doing it?
3. The Glory of God - “The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever”
4. Huh? To Glorify God?
“It is the divine plan that God’s glory be both proclaimed and demonstrated on the stage of the planet Earth and through the outworking of human history.” (Stan Rosenthal)
5. BUT, Not By man - you can’t add anything to God’s Glory
6. BUT, THROUGH the instrumentation of Man, God is making His glory known.
“That is accomplished as man allows his life to be an instrument through which the intrinsic, eternal perfection of God is displayed.”
B. KNOW the Baptism of the Holy Spirit
1. Baptidso -The Cloth, The Water, The dye
2. Intusposition... “Being placed into a position whereby one is completely and absolutely in subjection (submission)”
3. Being Baptized in water is the outward symbol that the INNER YOU has been completely and absolutely put under the subjection (submission) of God’s Holy Spirit. Just like the cloth and the dye.
C. KNOW that –
1. The Glory of God THROUGH you is God’s PLAN
2. The Glory of God IN you (submission) is God’s WAY
3. Therefore be DILIGENT in walking in such a manner as God’s Plan and God’s Way.
Ephesians 4:1-6 (NIV)
4:1 As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. 2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit-- just as you were called to one hope when you were called– 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. .......AND......
2 Timothy 2:15 (NIV)
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.
Matthew 5:16 (NIV)
In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
B. That He might Redeem Us
Titus 2:7-3:1 (KJV)
7 In all things showing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine showing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity, 8 Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you. 9 Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again; 10 Not purloining, but showing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things. 11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, 12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; 13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; 14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. 15 These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee. 3:1 Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work,
Faithfulness - working at accountability and stewardship in every area of life
(Are you able to give a good account of everything you do?)
A. Show thyself approved
1 Timothy 2:1 (KJV)
“I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;”
B. It is Required
1 Corinthians 4:2 (KJV)
“Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.”